Monday, March 10, 2014

My Grandpa's Birthday

Today would have been my grandpa's 100th birthday. I always loved that he was 70 years older than me. When I was little I used to think that because of our unique age difference we had a special connection and it made me his favorite. Of course as I got older I realized he loved all his grandchildren equally and made us all feel special, even his step children and step grandchildren were loved equally to his blood related ones.

I remember when he'd come and visit when I was a kid and I'd climb up on his lap. He'd pretty much would let me stay there his whole visit. Mostly he came to us, since my parents couldn't afford to travel or have a car that could take us the distance with out any troubles. We did go to his house in Afton, WY once when I was five, but I don't remember much about that trip.

The last time I saw my grandpa was at his birthday party a few months before he past away. I didn't think he'd be able to remember who was who in my family. After all it had been a few years since he'd seen us and there are so many. (My own father struggles keeping us all straight.) So when I went up to talk to him and to my surprised he not only called me by name, but he asked me how school was going. I am so glad he still had a great memory at age 91. I know that doesn't always happen for some elderly folks, so I'm grateful he was able to still have his memory.

Before I finish this post, I want to share one of my favorite stories about my grandpa. It's the one that has stuck with me my whole life. When I think about him, I think about this story. My grandpa was a farmer in Wyoming when my mom was growing up. He always worked hard on his farm everyday, except Sunday. His neighbor, a farmer as well, worked everyday. His neighbor would often complain that he worked 7 days and my grandpa only worked 6 days, but yet my grandpa's farm always did better than his. My grandpa would use it as an opportunity to explain to his neighbor the blessings that came from obeying the Sabbath. For him obeying God and doing what He wants us to do was more important than anything. He was a great example to all who knew him.

Happy Birthday, Grandpa! Love you and miss you!


No comments: