Sunday, April 5, 2015

Introducing Charles!

It is time I finally get around to writing a post about Charles, our newest family member.

Charles Samuel Thomson
Born: March 15, 2015 at 8:12 am
Weight: 7 lbs 0.5 oz.
Height: 19 1/2"

I'll try my best to compose his birth story. I feel as if it was a complete blur, but maybe I just haven't internalized it all. Not that that is a bad thing in my case. I'm enjoying him too much to think about everything that led up to him being here.

Charles was due March 12th. Two days prior on the 10th my mother in law arrived into town. On the 11th I had a doctor appointment and was told the plan for if I go past my due date. Basically they'd do an ultrasound and a stress test a week past and then again at 10 days past due. Then schedule an induction for sometime 10-14 days past due. I jokingly told my mid wife if I went a week past due I'd come to my appointment in my pj's. Well, the 12th, 13th and 14th came and went. We did somethings together as a family, but mostly Tracy, his mom and James did things together and I hung out relaxing at home. It was a nice break because when they were around they kept fussing over me and asking me if I was having contractions. The wait wouldn't have been all that bad, if I didn't have others anxiousness to deal with too.

The night of the 14th I started having contractions around 11 once again only this time they stayed fairly consistent and didn't go away after an hour, unlike the Braxten Hicks contractions I'd been having for weeks. So I starting thinking maybe it finally was the real thing. I mostly kept it to myself. Didn't want to be calling wolf. Around midnight we all went to bed. I never really fell asleep. Just kept on timing and resting as I could. Around 3 I got up and called the on call mid wife. She told me to wait another hour and then come to the hospital. I believe we got to the hospital about 4;30.

At the hospital they checked me in, hooked me up to the monitors and checked me. I was only dilated to a 3 and I don't remember what % of effaced I was. Maybe 80 or 90 %. They said they'd monitor me for a bit and see how things progressed. I don't know time lines of events like I said before  don't really know details of everything. I just know sometime later they put an IV in my arm to get me ready for the epidural.

Now to fully get the whole picture I need to tell you a bit about the hospital. The birthing center is like a typical birthing center only in a hospital setting. They have rooms with birthing tubs and are big on un-medicated births. The center doesn't have an anesthesiologist on staff, so if you want an epidural you have to have it noted in your birth plan with your dr/midwife prior and also tell them once you arrive.

After many contractions later they said the anesthesiologist would be in shortly once he finishes with the previous patient on his list. But upon examining my progress they said there wouldn't be time for me to get the epidural. And offered me some IV meds to help a bit with the pain. I accepted and a short time later Charles was here. Of course I wasn't very calm through it all. I was very much a big baby; crying that I wanted to go home, I couldn't do this or I didn't want to, asking to make it stop and various other things. All while grasping Tracy's hand so hard that he was feeling it days later. The good thing was I didn't tear. No stitches for me!!! oh, and my socks I was wearing were saved! The nurse was even impressed that not a drop of blood got on them.

The very nice thing about the birth center is your baby is placed right on your chest and stays there for at least two hours before they do any tests and measurements, unless there are complications. Babies actually don't spend any time in the nursery unless they is a medical need. I loved just laying there snuggling Charles with just Tracy in the room for awhile.
I love this picture, even with my crazy hair and all.
Child birth isn't pretty, but the first moments with your baby are precious.

I'm all wrapped in blankets because I kept shaking. Not from being cold, but as a reaction that sometimes happens after women give birth. The nurse warmed up blankets and wrapped me up saying it would help plus to keep me warm in case I do start to feel cold. When I finally fixed my hair and was looking/feeling more presentable, Tracy's mom said to him now is the time to take a picture and post it on Facebook. Little did she know I had approved of Tracy posting this picture on Facebook.

I stayed at the hospital for the 2 days allowed. I had kind of planned going home after 1 day, but I was really struggling with feeding Charles so I decided to stay and get the extra help. I;m very glad I did. It was determined Charles had a slight tongue tie and we were able to get it fixed before leaving on the 17th. I'm extremely grateful it was found and we got it fixed. It has made a huge difference. I'm glad to be able to exclusively breastfeed this time around.

James and Grandma meeting Charles.
James has been such a great big brother and is adjusting pretty well. He has his moments, but is handling the change well.

How we chose his name. James' name has a personal meaning for us. We wanted the same for Charles. We went through many serious possibilities and not so serious ones. We kept coming back to Charles after Charles Darwin. James is named after scientist so why not his brother also? The middle name became a little more difficult. We just couldn't find one we liked. In the beginning of January I had an impression that the timing of Charles birth wasn't going to be just a coincidence. He was sent to us at that time to provide extra comfort and healing after the lose of Tracy's brother. A special gift from God to us and his grandparents. He was born 2 days prior to his Uncle Sam's birthday. In his memory we decided on Samuel for Charles' middle name. 


First day home
Has to have his hands free, but does sleep better if we wrap them up.

First outing ti the park.

James was driving a car in the crib and playing with his brother.

First time to church. 

First time to the beach. He slept the whole time. 
Charles had his 2 week appointment Friday. He now weighs 9 lbs and is 21.25 inches. Growing well and doing well that he doesn't have to go back till 2 months. Yay!

Now I need a new blog title... any suggestions?

No comments: