Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Family History

Family History - I am doing it, my family history.
And the love I feel when I'm doing it is very sweet to me.
I learn stories of my progenitors; I write their history.
I keep records of my loved one on my own family tree.

If you're familiar with that song, you probably will have it stuck in your head for the rest of the day. :)

My oldest sister is really good at genealogy, so good she got a bachelor's degree in it. Sometimes she shares her finds with Facebook or when I'm feeling into searching for ancestors I ask her what she's working one. Last week was one of the weeks where both things happen to a line. I hadn't asked her yet, but she ended up posting about finding a picture of our Great-Great-Great-Great Grandpa, John Lowe. Our Great-Great-Great Grandpa, George Alma Lowe never knew his father. My sister came across an old newspaper article talking about him meeting his sister for the first time at the age of 61. The article said his sister immediately knew who was because he looked just like her dad. So my sister wanted to find a picture of John Lowe. She knew some other things about John Lowe (I will get into that in a bit) but the chances of actually finding a picture were kind of slim. However she found it. And where did she find it? On familysearch.org. There is now a new feature where you can add pictures and stories of your ancestors. Someone not only had added a picture, but a small life history of John Lowe. Stories we would never know because our direct relatives didn't know anything about him. (Hope I haven't confused anyone.)

If your curious you can see his picture and read about his life: John Lowe.

He was one of the early pioneer settlers in Pasadena, CA. So my sister was going to ask me to take a trip there and explore the historical museum and the library there to see if I could find anything about John Lowe. But the new feature on familysearch.org made it possible for someone else to share what they had already found. I will still go to Pasadena someday and see what is there about my relative.

I've personally been drown toward working on a certain line of my family. It gets a little tricky since there isn't a lot known and there was a time where they lived in Russia. Do you know how many records are available from Russia? Not very many.

My sister also told me about this wonderful thing called digital newspapers. Did you know many old newspapers have been scanned and can be searchable online? I didn't till last week. I have found some fun articles about my family. One about my gr.-gr.-gr. grandpa, Conrad Stuckert, being arrested for making moonshine in his home.

It is so fun to learn about family, that I wouldn't know other wise. Hopefully someday I can find the missing relatives.

Are you doing your family history? What things have you discovered about your family?

2 comments:

Scilla said...

Awesome! Are you interested in the Stuckert or Marcus lines - both are from Russia. I actually did a lot of research on both a long time ago and will have to see what I can gather together - it's a little disorganized right now. I love that story about Conrad, haha.

sholtmom said...

ok I need to learn from you. Can you send me some tips?