Monday, October 28, 2013

My Go To Recipe When Tracy's Away

Over the summer, when Tracy was away I tried to make dinner time as easy and inexpensive as possible. I'm weird that way. I don't like to spend a ton of money on a meal when I'm feeding just my picky little boy and I.  So I came across a recipe that consisted of 3 of James's favorites: black beans, rice and corn. I made it and James loved it and I liked it. This week Tracy is gone for a conference, so I revisited this recipe and now sharing with you.

Black Bean, Corn, and Yellow Rice

  • 1 (8 ounce) package yellow rice mix (I use 8 oz. of whatever rice I have on hand, which is usually white rice.)
  • 2 1/4 cups water (Chicken or Vegetable Broth is also good instead of plain water)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin


  1. Bring the rice, water, and olive oil to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
  2. Mix together the beans, corn, lime juice, and cumin in a large bowl. Stir in the cooked rice and serve.
This recipe feeds us for like 3 days. Can't get any better than that. 
I then take the completed rice mixture and wrap it up in a tortilla with cheese, salsa, sour cream. Sometimes I cook up some chicken and add it to my burrito. Yum, Yum, Yum. Easy, Peasy Dinner.

No comments: