Thursday, March 7, 2013

Orange Cookies

When your husband comes home with a 25 lb bag of oranges, what do you do with them? Juice them (used about half of the bag for juice), eat them (of course), share them (about once a month I'm going try to send some to a family member/friend). Then if you still have some left over, use them in your cooking.

Yesterday, I had a desire to bake something yummy. I didn't want to have go to the store to make something, so I went through my cookbooks to find a yummy treat to make with what I have on hand.  What did I discover Orange Cookies! Yummy, yummy Orange Cookies! Even Tracy liked them.


Orange Cookies
(Makes about 2 dozen)
  • 2/3 c. shortening
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. orange zest
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Mix shortening, sugar and egg. Stir in juice and zest. Blend in dry ingredients. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Frosting:
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp. orange zest
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, soften
  • 2 Tbsp. orange juice
Mix all ingredients. Spread on cooled cookies.

1 comment:

Life as Linds said...

Mmmmmmmm! Those look and sound amazing!