Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Orange Chicken

I've been wanting to make my own Orange Chicken, just like from Panda Express, for awhile. Sunday, I took a crack at it and it turned out pretty good. Was a little too sweet, orangey (is that even a word) and not enough spice.  Now I know it's not too difficult to make and next time I'll add a bit more red chilis to get more spiciness and actually have green onions on hand. Plus, some of the directions for the recipe were horrible, so I'm going to try and make better sense of them for you all.

Yum, Tasty.
Orange Chicken


Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • white pepper
  • 2 tablespoon oil divided, plus
  • extra oil for frying
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch, plus
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
  • 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil 
  • Zest of 1 orange (optional)

Ingredients for Orange Sauce:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons water
  • 5 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons white vinegar

Directions:
  1. In large bowl mix egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil.
  2. Coat chicken pieces with egg mixture
  3. In separate bowl mix cornstarch and flour
  4. Coat chicken with cornstarch mixture 
  5. Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
  6. Add chicken, small batches at a time and fry 3 to 4 minutes or till golden brown (Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.)
  7. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
  8. Mix ingredients for Orange Sauce together in small bowl. Set aside.
  9. Clean wok/deep-fryer and heat 15 seconds over high heat.
  10. Add 1 tablespoon oil, ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant; about 10 seconds.
  11. Add and stir-fry crushed chilies and green onions
  12. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds
  13. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
  14. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
  15. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.
  16. Heat until sauce is thickened
  17. Stir in sesame oil
  18. Add orange zest if desired.
  19. Serve and Enjoy.

1 comment:

Courtnie said...

Smells good! Oh, wait, Looks good, I mean! :)

I might try it, but must admit the recipe looks a littl imtimidating with it being so long!