Thursday, January 20, 2011

Herb Garden

We've gained a new love of using fresh herbs in our food, especially Joe. He has become my personal gourmet chef. :) Mostly he's been making Italian dishes from the Olive Garden website. The other day, while he was making Chicken Marsala, I declared we needed a Herb Garden. So, I started researching how to grow a thriving herb garden.

AeroGarden
I came across these awesome indoor gardens. That can be placed right on your kitchen counter. Since they come with their own artificial light you don't need to put it by a window. The only down side is they cost anywhere from $60-$130. Depending on how many seed pods it holds. A little out of our price range at the moment.

Well, since getting that one wasn't going to happen for awhile, if ever. I started looking into what were the best indoor conditions needed to grow one. The first thing that is needed is at least 5 hours of direct sunlight, so a South or West facing window is best. Umm... I thought that might be possible, but wait our windows are facing North and East and are almost always in the shade.There is always artificial lighting.

Also, there's the challenge to keep it out of reach of the pets and James. With artificial lighting I could put it on a shelf as high above the ground as I want, so I guess that really isn't a challenge.

Maybe, I'll save up for one of those counter top AeroGardens. Till then I'll see if I can rig something up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've wanted one of these too! But then I researched into cheaper options of doing it yourself but like you I don't have the right facing windows. Dang. Hopefully our next place will? Because I so wanna grow my own herbs! Yum!