Saturday, September 13, 2014

Are we there yet?

The road seems to go on forever when you are staring at the same truck towing a black car with the top speed of 60 mph (mostly going 55mph) the whole time.  Well, almost the whole time I did ditch him for a bit. It took us 10 hours to get to Davis. Google maps says it takes 6 ½ hours, so a major time difference.

I did learn a couple of things on the way north:
  • Truck drivers don’t really like it if you purposely drive slow with them. I only did that to give Tracy a chance to catch up after I ditched him.
  • James doesn’t get annoyed with the “Are we there yet?” question. He willingly answers, “Nope, not yet,” every single time. Though, I only asked about 4 or 5 times, so he didn’t have really have a chance to get annoyed.
  • After driving for over 9 hours don’t get too excited when you see a sign stating you only have about 30 miles left because those 30 miles will take forever. Also, try not to have a meltdown when you see another sign that says you have about 20 miles left when you feel like you've gone far more than 10 miles.
  • Sometimes radio stations play the perfect song at the perfect time. Philips, Philips "Home" came on just as we reached the Davis city limits. I bawled. Thanks radio station. 
We spent the night at the local motel 6, then picked up our keys the next morning. We were very lucky to have two guys from our new ward come and help us move in. The truck was unloaded in about an hour and I hardly had to haul in anything. 

So far we are getting settled. Once we get our apartment all situated I'll post some pictures. 

No comments: