I have an imaginary friend named Facebook. He shows me what is currently on my friend's minds, their personal information and even pictures/videos of them. He even lets me make comments like I am having actual face to face conversations. Isn't he great! He is like my personal gateway to my friend's lives, well the part they share with him. Kind of like a gossip chain, they tell Facebook and Facebook tells me. Oh, how I love thee my imaginary gossipy friend.
However you are not like ordinary imaginary friends, you are harder to get ride of. You are there with just a click of a mouse. I can't just replace you with real friends when my real friends work and are busy during the day just like me. Plus it seems so, so much easier to find out how their day was or how they are doing through you. But, is that really a healthy way to interact? Isn't it better to have face to face interactions? The book I've been reading YOU: Raising Your Child enforces the importance of interacting with your baby as they grow because babies who are constantly being talked to/read to/played with retain more brain neurons then those that are not. So no matter what age interacting with others face to face is the best way to learn and grow and become better people.
Though Mr. Facebook, you do come in handy when there are family or friends who are far away. It is nice to find out how they are doing or what they are up to. It is even nice to instantly receive pictures instead of waiting for them to come in the mail. For that reason, you are a great friend to keep around.
So my dear imaginary friend Facebook, I am going to try not to use you as much as I have been. There's not much you can share with me that a quick phone call wouldn't do.
This isn't a good by forever, just a good bye Imaginary Friend Facebook, I hope to be seeing you less often.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I totally agree. I'm gonna try and do the same...though moving out of state may make me more depending on our friend Mr. Facebook! PS- do you text? I've been meaning to get your number for a while so we can text/call to actually make plans!
Hmm, makes me wonder why Facebook isn't on Facebook. Everyone should be able to friend Facebook and see his updates. LOL.
Post a Comment